Dr. AHMAD ALI
Molecular Biochemistry Laboratory
Department of Life Sciences, University of Mumbai
Vidyanagari, Mumbai 400098 INDIA
I am working as Assistant Professor in the Department of Life Sciences, University of Mumbai.
Earlier I worked in the National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER). I studied at Jamia Hamdard and University of Mumbai obtaining M. Sc. and Ph. D. degree in Biochemistry. I have over 13 years of teaching and research experience. Presently I am heading the Molecular Biochemistry laboratory in the Department.Know More...
* RESEARCH AREA
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
* RESEARCH INTERESTS
- Non-enzymatic Glycosylation (Glycation), Antiglycating properties of natural products
- DNA and protein damage, Carbonyl and oxidative stress
- Signal transduction, Metabolic regulation, Spirulina platensis
* RESEARCH PROJECTS
1. "Study of glycation of proteins by sweeteners"
Funding Agency: Research Society for the study of Diabetes in India (RSSDI)
- "Antiglycating properties of Nigella sativa seed extracts"
- Funding agency: University of Mumbai, Mumbai (2018-19)
- "Studies on Non-enzymatic Glycosylation of DNA and Proteins by sugars and dicarbonyls"
- Funding Agency: UGC, New Delhi (Start up grant) (2014-16).
- “In vitro study on the glycation of DNA by sweeteners”
- Funding agency: University of Mumbai, Mumbai (2015-16)
- "In vitro study on non-enzymatic glycosylation of protein and DNA"
- Funding Agency: University of Mumbai, Mumbai (2013-14).
* RESEARCH STUDENTS
1. Ph. D. student (Enrolled) : 03
- Dinesh Kumar, Prairna Malik and Additiya Paramanya
2. Guided two M. S. Pharm. Biotechnology project students at NIPER
- Rajeev Sharma and Nagesh Meena
3. Guided 34 students of MSc Part II Life Sciences for their Review of Literature and Project work
4. Presently guiding seven students of M. Sc. for their Review of Literature and Project work.
- Ali, A. 2020. Herbs that Heal: The Philanthropic behavior of Nature. Annals of Phytomedicine. 9 (1): 7 - 17. http://dx.doi.org/10.21276/ap.2020.9.1.2. (Invited Article).
- Kasmi, H., Doukani, K., Ali, A., Tabak, S., Bouhenni, H. 2020. Epidemiological Profile of Helicobacter pylori Infection in Patients with Digestive Symptoms in Algeria. Journal of Epidemiology and Global Health. (In press). https://doi.org/10.2991/jegh.k.200527.001.
- Ali, A. 2020. Nitrate assimilation pathway in higher plants: critical role in nitrogen signalling and utilization. Plant Science Today. 7(2): 182-192
- Bhatkalkar, S. Kumar, D. Ali, A. Sachar, S. 2020. Influence of surfactants on the interaction of copper oxide nanoparticles with vital proteins. Journal of Molecular Liquids. 304: 1-10.
- Paramanya, A., Jain, Y., Ali, A. 2020. Obesity: its complications and medications. Journal of Health Sciences of Kocaeli University. 6(1): 1-9.